- Published Date:
- Categories: Campus Operations
- Supporting Unit: Office of the COO
Dear Howard University Community,
In observance of Labor Day, Howard University will be closed on Monday, September 4, 2023. The University will resume regular hours of operation on Tuesday, September 5, 2023.
Unless designated as essential personnel, employees should not travel to Howard University to work.
All buildings will be secured and locked. Essential employees who need access to campus buildings must check in with the Department of Public Safety (DPS) at 202-806-1100.
Essential Operations and Reminders:
Department of Public Safety:
DPS will provide continuous safety and security coverage and building access to essential employees during the holiday. We remind all community members to be mindful of best practices for safety during the holiday break.
Remember public health guidance from the Centers for Disease Control, DC Health, and the Bison S.A.F.E. pandemic response protocol during the weekend and holiday activities. All community members are encouraged to use sound judgment in social gatherings and areas of close contact.
- Be mindful of heavier traffic patterns and plan to avoid congestion and potential accidents.
- When walking during the evening hours, be aware of your surroundings and only walk in well-lit and populated areas. Never park in an unlit area or parking lot, no matter how convenient.
- Carry your cell phone and keep it accessible.
- If you are approached, take note of the person’s appearance, clothing, and anything that will help identify the subject.
- Immediately report any suspicious activity or suspicious individuals to HU Public Safety at 202-806-1100, and program this number into your cell phone for quick access.
- Remember to practice moderation in consuming alcohol and avoid the use of illicit or illegal drugs.
Physical Facilities Management:
PFM will continue to respond to urgent situations and emergencies. Over the extended weekend, the campus area may be subject to maintenance and repairs scheduled by PEPCO, which could result in temporary disruptions in power. All students and employees are encouraged to unplug unused electrical equipment and to back up work and research which could be impacted by surges or loss of electricity. All researchers working with animals are advised to plan for care and contingency for weekend access to laboratories.
Enterprise Technology Services:
We remind the University community that good digital citizenship is the responsibility of every Bison. All users are charged with following protocols for multi-factor authorization and completing network security training to ensure the stability of our digital environment.
Please remember to protect work files and back up data. Over the break, all students and employees are encouraged to disconnect unused devices from the network to reduce potential incursions and to converse energy usage.
ETS Help Desk support will be available on the following weekend and holiday schedules:
- Saturday, September 2, 2023 (8 a.m.-5 p.m.)
- Sunday, September 3, 2023 (8 a.m.-5 p.m.)
- Monday, September 4, 2023 (Closed for Labor Day Holiday Observance)
Please know that the Undergraduate Library and Founders Library are scheduled to be closed on:
- Saturday, September 2, 2023
- Sunday, September 3, 2023
- Monday, September 4, 2023
Both libraries are scheduled to reopen on Tuesday, September 5, 2023, at 8:00 am.
- Bethune Annex Café will be open and operate on a brunch schedule with continuous service from 10:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- The Market at Bethune and the Market at the Towers will be open from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Blackburn Cafe, The Market at Blackburn, Bison Brew, Jazzman's, Simply to Go, The Punchout, and NuVegan will all be closed in observance of the holiday.
- Mail services will be suspended for the holiday.
- The University Bookstore will open on Saturday, September 2 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., and will be closed September 3 and 4.
- The Herd shuttle service will run as scheduled on Saturday, September 2 and will be out of service September 3-4.
Howard University Hospital will remain open. The Student Health Center and Faculty Practice Plan will be closed September 2-4 and will resume normal business hours on Tuesday, September 5, 2023. WHUR-FM and WHUT-TV will continue their regular programming schedules.
All other requests for staff to work on Labor Day are to be restricted to critical and time-sensitive activities in accordance with Howard University’s policies and federal guidelines.
Have a safe, relaxing, and peaceful holiday.
Excellence in Truth and Service,
Tashni Dubroy, Ph.D.
Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer