- Published Date:
Dear Howard University Community,
I hope that this letter finds you all well. It is refreshing to have everyone back on campus enthusiastically engaged in our core mission, the education of future leaders for our community, our country, and our world. On behalf of the Board of Trustees, I am writing to share another update on our search for the 18th president of Howard University.
It is with great pleasure that I announce our selection of a Presidential SearchCommittee to identify and recruit the next president of Howard University, in partnership with our external search firm, Isaacson Miller. This critical committee, comprised of individuals who bring a broad, diverse set of experiences and perspectives to this process, is charged with the following:
- Developing formal criteria to guide the search process;
- Engaging the University community to unearth insights and important considerations for our next president;
- Conducting a focused and comprehensive national and international search, with the support and guidance of our external search firm;
- Identifying, interviewing, and vetting potential candidates; and
- Putting forth a formal recommendation to the Board of Trustees for consideration and ratification.
As mentioned in the previous update, we have created a website to share updates on the process as it unfolds and provide a forum for all members of the community to provide feedback, suggestions, and questions. On this site, you will also find the search committee’s membership, which includes current and past board members, deans, faculty, graduate and undergraduate student government representatives, as well as the leaders of University staff and alumni organizations. In the coming weeks, we will also be providing the details for upcoming listening sessions, hosted by the search committee, so that University community members may share their thoughts, perspectives, and input with respect to what is required and most desired in the next leader of Howard University.
Our sincere thanks go out to the entire University community for your encouragement and support as we continue to progress on this journey with confidence for the future.
Excellence in Truth and Service,
Laurence C. Morse, Ph.D., B.A. ’73
Chair of the Howard University Board of Trustees